Aberdeen, unlike neighboring resort towns, was a flourishing community in the 1760's. Located near the intersection of important regional roads, the town became the access point to two major railroads. Originally it was named Bethesda, then Blue's Crossing and finally Aberdeen for the city in Scotland. Lumber, turpentine, industry and commerce were economic mainstays. Today, the Aberdeen Historic District includes 88 acres and more than 100 buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Antiques and collectible shops as well as Union Station are located there. Skirting the historic area is a thriving commercial strip that stretches along U.S. Hwy 1 into Southern Pines.